Thursday, May 7, 2009

It's been a while!

Hello, all! I figured that since I'm sitting at home with no job and nothing to do, I'd finally get around to updating our blog. Just a warning...this is going to be a long one!!

As all of you may know, April was a rough month for the Storm family. We found out we were pregnant in March and were nervous but excited to go to the doctor in April for our first ultrasound. Deep down I had a feeling something wasn't right, but Troy being the supportive husband he is, kept telling me everything was fine. The 16th finally rolled around and as Dr. Erwin performed the ultrasound (while I had a death grip on Troy's hand) he discovered that our baby was only measuring 6 weeks with no heartbeat and I was almost 9 weeks along. Troy and I were in tears and heartbroken. He said it was probably a missed miscarriage but wanted to send us to a MFM specialist with a better ultrasound machine.

A note about Dr. Erwin--Troy and I are so blessed to have such a wonderful, caring, Christian doctor in our lives. He always treats us with the utmost respect and makes us feel as if we are his only patients. He prayed with us and helped us to see that this was all in God's plan.

The following day, we went to see Dr. Sheppard expecting her to confirm Dr. Erwin's findings. We were wrong. After staring at the screen for a long while, we all noticed a flicker of activity on the screen. She grabbed my wrist to feel for my heartbeat, and informed us that our baby did indeed have a heartbeat, although it was rather slow. She said things didn't look normal but she wasn't ready to rule it a miscarriage yet. She recommended we wait for a couple of weeks and have another ultrasound to see if any progress had been made.

So that's what we did...we waited. While waiting, more bad news hit. I found out I was laid off from work. At this point, I really didn't know how much more stress and bad news I could handle. Now I look at losing my job as a blessing in disguise. I need a better job and Sydney is definitely ready for preschool so she can learn new things and meet new friends. God had a mysterious way of doing things and sometimes I don't understand them, but I know He's doing what's best for my life.

After waiting 2 weeks, the 30th finally rolled around and we were finally ready to have some answers. At this point in my pregnancy, I was almost 11 weeks along. Dr. Erwin performed the ultrasound, and once again, our baby was only measuring 6 weeks with no heartbeat. After seeing that, the next 24 hours went by in a flash. Since his machine is old, Dr. Erwin wanted us to be seen immediately by the radiologist with a better ultrasound machine to confirm his findings, and he went ahead and scheduled a D&C for the following morning at 7am. After giving 3 vials of blood, we went next door for another ultrasound, which indeed confirmed the results of a non-viable pregnancy. So then we went back to the hospital to pre-register for the procedure. While there, I had to visit the lab and give 2 more vials of blood. Since my blood type is B-, immediately following the procedure I had to have a Rhogam shot and the lab had to type my blood for the shot. Needless to say, I was a little woosy after giving so much blood and not eating much all day!!

Since the procedure was at 7am on May 1st and we had to be at the hospital at 6am, Sydney got to stay the night with Mamaw and Papaw. I'm so blessed to have such wonderful parents that can help us out on a moment's notice! Troy and I woke up at 4:30am the morning of the procedure and were at the hospital promptly at 6am. Shortly after checking in, we were brough up to pre-op where they took my vitals and started my IV. Dr. Erwin stopped by to go over the procedure and said a prayer with us. Troy was then shown to the waiting room and I was wheeled back to the OR. About an hour later I was in recovery feeling groggy, a little crampy, but otherwise ok. After staying there for about 1 1/2 hours, Troy was finally able to bring me home. I slept most of the day away on Friday and gradually started feeling better over the weekend.

It is now the Thursday after my procedure, and physically I'm almost back to my old self. Emotionally, I have my good moments and bad moments, but I'm starting to feel better. I'm comforted to know that our Angel Baby is in Heaven looking down on us and that one day, Troy and I will finally be able to meet our little one.

Thanks to everyone for their love, support, and prayers during this difficult time. Troy and I are blessed to have each and every one of you in our lives.


Lyn Wylie said...

God bless you Jenny and Troy.
I admire your strong spirit during all of this. I love you very much.

Andrea said...

Just wanted to tell you again, you are my hero! I can only hope that I can handle life challenges with half the grace and strength that you have shown. Sending you all my love!

heathernkids said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like this has been a tremedously stressful time for you all. Stay strong and keep updating when you can. I hope Sydney is feeling better!